Monday, February 6, 2012

Serenity

The Serenity Prayer was printed on a bookmark that came in a package I received in the mail today. For those unfamiliar with the prayer it reads:

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.

I was praying the prayer and thinking about it while I walked the dog. Having a dog in the house is not something I can change right now. I have to put up with the fur and the barking, all the while seeing the kids shower him with love and attention. So, while I can't change the fact that he lives with us, I can change my attitude about it and look on the bright side. He is a great companion for the kids and I can take him for a walk. This gives me quiet time and some much needed exercise in the sunshine.

Another thing I can't change is the calendar. And, while we've been having the best winter ever with almost no snow, lots of sun and even warm days, I can't help but long for May! I want to have the windows open and feel the fresh air. So, since I can't open the windows I take a walk. Ahh, fresh air and no need for gloves or a scarf.

There are many, many things that I can't change. Some of them will change with time. Some will never change (i.e. I'm not getting any younger and my body tells me this every day!) So I call on God to grant me serenity, courage and wisdom that I may do all He asks of me everyday.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this, Mary. That is a beautiful prayer. A great reminder to be grateful.

    ReplyDelete