Saturday, February 18, 2012

Fast and Pray

Does it sometimes feel like God doesn't hear your prayers?  I think we all feel that way sometimes.  Even the disciples felt it. A father brings his son before Jesus and tells him that he asked the disciples to drive out a demon and they were unable to do so.

After Jesus casts out the demon the disciples ask Him, "Why could we not drive it out?"  And Jesus tells them it is because of their lack of faith.  But then adds, "But this kind does not come out except by prayer and fasting.” ( Mt 17:19-21)


What does the word fasting bring to mind?  To me it used to mean going without food for long periods and ending up with a killer headache, which made me cranky and hard to be around.  Somehow, I thought, this isn't what God is looking for.  


So I decided on a different kind of fasting.  I pick one or two things per month to do without.  Chocolate is a big one because it's a staple for me.  I drink hot chocolate every day all winter long.  So to give it up for a month is a big deal.  


We know that, "Man shall not live by bread alone." (Mt 4:4)  I sometimes feel like I could because bread is another of my favorite things. It holds my peanut butter so well! So bread is another thing I give up for a month.  


God doesn't need us to starve ourselves to benefit from fasting.  It is, after all, supposed to draw us closer to Him.  When we desire the thing from which we are fasting, it is a time to pray, not only for strength to continue the fast, but also for a special intention for which we are awaiting an answer. 


Give it try. God will bless your fast.

1 comment: