Friday, March 30, 2012

Trust

"Jesus, I trust in you."

These words are found at the bottom of the image of Divine Mercy.  They are so easy to say and, sometimes, so hard to do.

When life throws us a curve ball, say your car breaks down, or you wake up too sick to go to work, or your basement pipes back up 3 times in a week, it may still be fairly easy to say those words.

How about when something really devastating happens, say, cancer.

How do we react to something that huge?

I am honored to know a person who is in a fight with cancer who has not only committed those words to memory and likely says them often but who LIVES them.  In a note asking for prayers this is what he wrote:


“My feeling is that this cancer does not change the basic facts: the Father is all loving and wants what’s best for us, He is all wise and knows what is best for us, and He is all powerful and can bring it about.   
     “So I feel, as always, blessed and fortunate.  The Lord has chosen this cancer to do important work that needs to get done, not the least is the opportunity, through grace, to grow more quickly in faith, hope, and love of the Lord, if only I continue to trust in Him and endure well, without complaint, and with a joyful attitude the challenges this cancer brings.
    “ In addition, because I am fortunate to be ”grafted” into the “body of Christ,” I have the opportunity, once again by grace, to join myself more intimately to Jesus’ own once and for all redemptive sacrifice made present at Mass, offering my life in Christ to the Father for your well-being, and for those others whom He puts on my heart. 
     “So, I cannot be sad.  I can only be grateful and rejoice, taking delight in the Lord.  Kathy (named changed by blogger) and I will be on an adventure with great opportunity.  Lastly, prostate cancer can be so “friendly” compared to the evil of others.”

I am so grateful for his example and I ask you to keep him in your prayers.  

Dear Jesus, help us all to "trust in You." 

No comments:

Post a Comment