Saturday, January 21, 2012

How Do I Love Thee?

What do you do when you find yourself unable to love someone as you ought? We hear all the time of difficult and troubled relationships. Some give up, and the relationship ends on a bad note. Others put up with a person they find difficult. How terrible to be “put up with”. And there are those who find the courage to LOVE.

God’s love is the only way to love another. Just as He loves us, we are to love each other. That is a lofty goal.

I was listening to Al Kresta today, and Fr. Larry Richards was his guest. Father recommended a prayer that I found so beautiful. This is the gist of what he said:

“Lord, I cannot love this person the way I should, but You can and You do. I give You permission to love them through me.”

WOW!

This must be the prayer St. Francis of Assisi prayed before he hugged the leper that he had once avoided.

This must be the prayer of Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta and her nuns as they took the sick and dying from the gutters and ministered to them.

This can be our prayer as well. If you have the courage, pray:

Dear Lord, I give you permission to love through me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment