Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Every Knee Shall Bend

Do you kneel when you pray? I always do during the Mass. I didn't often at other times. I'm a lazy prayer. I know God hears me no matter what position I am in and lots of times that is lying in my bed, curled up under the covers and, admittedly, half asleep.

Did I get a nudge to get up (at least sit up!) and perhaps kneel beside the bed? Yep! It took me a while to listen. Kneeling changes things.

It makes you keenly aware of what is under your knees, for one. Thankfully, there is carpet in my bedroom. (I'm a wimp.) Kneeling makes you have to pay attention to your posture: back straight, shoulders down, hands folded.

A big plus is that you aren't likely to fall asleep while you pray!

Once I've got all of the above taken care of, I can focus on the prayers. I tend to pray a little longer and I find myself praying out loud.

Another plus is that it fits in with my silent witnessing, for while we are told to go to our rooms and pray to our Father in private, my bedroom is akin to Grand Central Station. The kids and my dear one see me on my knees. Definitely not folding clothes or washing dishes while kneeling beside the bed.

I suggested to our youngest that she kneel with me tonight to do her bedtime prayers. She actually said all of the prayers with me and added a couple of her own. She changed the way she prayed because she was on her knees.

Need a boost to your prayer life? Give kneeling a try and see if God does not reward your efforts.

1 comment: