Thursday, March 24, 2011

Silent Witness

Of the gifts with which God has blessed me, the gift of gab is not one. I find that I gravitate toward people who love to talk. My favorites are the ones who let me get a word in here and there as well. I am not a conversation starter most of the time. Instead I love to listen. There is so much to learn.

So how is a quiet person supposed to share the Good News? My heart is full of things that need and want to be said, and so I have become a silent witness. How can you witness if you do not speak well? The written word is the way I express myself. I put my thoughts in writing and then I can go back and re-read them later. I can also share it with others.

When I eat out, grace is said no matter where I am. The sign of the cross before and after the prayer is my witness. No one needs to hear the words of the prayer for them to know what I am doing.

I often pray the rosary when I take a walk. I don't bury the rosary in my pocket. I let it hang at my side. This, admittedly, took some working into. It takes courage to witness even if you aren't speaking.

My husband reminded me of my other "silent" witness; our nine children. Not that they are silent (unless they are sleeping) but they are my witness that with God in control of this aspect of my life, I can show others the beauty of His plan. When you have a large family, one of the questions most often asked is, "are you Catholic?" "Absolutely!"

Our children know that the Bible is important because they have all seen me curled up in my chair reading it while they get ready for school, or when they come to snuggle in the early morning. Sometimes they ask me to read it to them. Most often it is just a comfortable feeling they get because mom is sticking to her routine. They will remember this and, hopefully, emulate it.

All of us are called to spread the Good News. Some of us are just silent witnesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment