Tuesday, February 22, 2011

In Due Season

My Scripture reading yesterday was the last chapter of Sirach. It was one of those times when I just opened the Bible and read what was before me. The chapter starts off: "I give you thanks, O God. . ." Just what I was looking for. I am working on being more grateful. I have so much to be thankful for and, yet sometimes I find myself wondering "what would I do if . . .?" If I had more free time, if I had more "me" time, if I had more energy, if I had more money, if I had more space, if I had less laundry, if I had fewer bathrooms to clean.

Raising nine children is what I'm up to these days, although I have to say with 7 of them aged twelve or older, they are not all children anymore. None the less, they do take time, energy, money and space. I was at a store one day with a couple of my little ones a few years ago and a woman in line commented on how sweet they were. :) I admitted that, as cute as they are, I was looking forward to being able to shop alone one of these days. Her next comment proved how completely unaware of my situation she was. She said, "one day you'll miss these times." I wanted to respond, "I've been doing this for 24 years and believe me I look forward to doing this alone."

Shopping alone twice a month has become a reality for me. I head off to the grocery store in blissful silence. I get to pray in the van on the way there. I get to peruse the shelves with no one asking for anything, I get to use the U-Scan all by myself. I might even listen to the radio on the return trip. And, even better, when I get home the kids get to haul in the groceries (another benefit of homeschooling.)

All this leads me to the closing line of Sirach 51: "work at your tasks in due season, and in His own time God will give you your reward." So, even though I don't have more money or space or time, and I still have three bathrooms that need to be cleaned, I have reached the time of shopping alone; my reward for 24 years of hauling kids everywhere I went. I don't know what the next change will be, but for now, in this season of busy, I understand that change is coming. And I try to remember to be grateful for all the blessing that occur each day in my bustling, busy home.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God's Word is full of "give thanks." It's an attitude all His children need to cultivate. Mary, have you read Ann Voskamp's book "One Thousand Gifts"? I think you would enjoy it. ~~Rhonda :)

    ReplyDelete