Monday, September 29, 2014

For What It's Worth

I had an interesting experience at Mass today.

It was the High School Family Mass.  The high school athletes were there and so were many families, thus the church was very full. As a result, instead of sitting at the end of the pew where we always sit, we moved down to make room for others.

The gentleman that sat down beside us was a man that I have seen at daily Mass.

His clothes and other features about him tell part of his tale.

His sweater was worn out at the elbow, his slacks not in the best shape. What little hair he had was long and a bit unkempt.

There were other things about him that made me know his state in life was not as easy as most of the people sitting in that church.

When it was time for the collection, I handed our tenacious one our envelope with our usual contribution inside.

I was watching that end of the pew because my Dear One was ushering and had the collection basket.

I noticed the gentleman reach in his pocket and take out a single dollar bill.  In that moment, I knew that he was more generous than all of us at church.

"He sat down opposite the treasury and observed how the crowd put money in to the treasure. Many rich people put in large sums.  A poor widow also came and put in two small coins worth a few cents. Calling his disciple to Himself, he said to them "Amen I say to you, this poor widow put in more than all the other contributors to the treasury. For they have all contributed from their surplus wealth but she, from her poverty, has contributed all she had." (Mark 12: 41-44)

May we all trust the Lord with our "wealth", no matter how big or small that me be, and know that when we are generous, He will never hold back His blessings.


www.thatslife12.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment