Monday, July 14, 2014

Catholic Mass Mob

On Sunday, July 13,  the forth Catholic Mass Mob took place at Sweetest Heart of Mary Church in Detroit.

Unfortunately for us, by the time I heard that this group was started, the third Mass had just passed.
Upwards of 1000 people filled  St. Joseph Church near Eastern Market.  Reading about it and seeing photos piqued my curiosity and I "liked" the Catholic Mass Mob page on Facebook.  It was there  that I learned about the next Mass.

Gratefully, we and about 1800 other people heeded the invitation to come and attend Mass at a Detroit Historic Church.  We were blessed to have Bishop Reese say the Mass.

Sweetest Heart of Mary church is incredibly beautiful.  I only had my phone with me so the photos don't do it justice but here is a small sampling of what it looks like.


The choir loft.  The acoustics are so great that one would have thought there were upwards of 20 choir members singing. There were only 8, and it was wonderful. Plus, when you have a whole church full of people who have made an extra special effort to be there, and almost everyone sings, it is a joyful sound, indeed. 



The Stations of the Cross were glorious.  Each station sits on its own "balcony" with a canopy over the top of it.  Just beautiful.


These are just two of the many stained glass windows that surround the church.  Breath taking.



This is the ambo shown in an off-center photo of the main alter. I thought I had one straight on, but I guess not.  Gorgeous! 

St. Therese alcove to the right of the main alter.


Sacred Heart of Jesus.

Immaculate Heart of Mary. 
 I would imagine the pews were hand carved.
 There were two beautiful confessionals at the back of the church. Hannah said, "I would go to confession in one of those!" 

This is someone else's photo of the front of the church. I wasn't far enough away to get a photo of the twin spires so I borrowed this! 

There are many more photos that show the magnificence of the church on Facebook at Catholic Mass Mob.  Take a peek, and if you're in the area, consider joining us at the next Mass Mob, August 10 at 11:00 a.m. at St. Albertus Church. 



After Mass, we went to lunch at Onassis Coney Island right across from the field that used to be the home of Tiger Stadium. It was a wonderful day and we look forward to the next month's Mass Mob.

No comments:

Post a Comment