Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Late Night with Jesus

Ok, technically it's early morning, but I thought it had a familiar ring to it.

It's 1:57 a.m. and I'm awake again.  This is not an every night occurrence, but it happens often enough that it feels like a routine.  Most nights I just make the most of this time by praying; tonight I'm writing about it.

When you wake up in the middle of the night and you can't go back to sleep, what is your first course of action?

Do you go get something to eat, turn on the boob tube, snuggle with the baby (who may have woken you up)?  Do you lie there worrying, creating a list of things to do the next day, or frustrated that you're awake again, and would rather be sleeping?

I've done all of the above.  There is one more thing to try; pray.

I know that often I'm awakened by the Lord because the house is finally quiet and He wants some quality time with me.  I always need quality time with Him, but with a busy household (that has been busier and noisier lately with all the "snow/cold" days) our time together has been shorter and more interrupted than usual.

When you wake up, let Jesus be your first thought.  He will direct you from there.  He knows your needs and loves to hear you give voice to them.  He wants you to waste time with Him and if the only time you take to waste with Him is the middle of the night, He'll take it!  Often, He demands it.

Think about the four ways to pray; Adoration, Contrition, Thanksgiving and Supplication (ACTS).

Don't give Jesus just your memorized prayers, which are wonderful, don't get me wrong.  What He wants most often is your heartfelt prayers.  The ones where you just talk to Him about everything that's on your mind.  If this is hard for you, try writing Him a letter.  Hey, you're awake anyway, you might as well get up and get a notebook and a pen.

Then there is a listening prayer.  Can you be still with the Lord?  Can you hear what He wants to say to you?  There's an old saying that states, God gave us one mouth and two ears so we should listen twice as much as we talk.  Same goes with praying.  God has much to say to us.  In the quiet, still, dark of the late night,  what is Jesus wanting to say to you?  Don't fight it.  He's got some good stuff for you!

I think this is what He wanted from me tonight so I'm going back to bed.  Happy praying!


www.thatslife12.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment