Monday, December 9, 2013

Idolatry

Quite near our home there is an electronic outdoor advertising sign.  This particular sign has up to four advertisements on it that flash up one at a time for a number of seconds and then switch to the next.

There is usually a Christian message up there,  I LOVE YOU  signed ~GOD, or something to that effect.

Lately the Christian message has been:  LOVE ALL;  WORSHIP ONE.    Great message.  The sad part is the message that follows it:

GET THE BODY YOU WANT!   LIPOSUCTION!  With a picture of either a finely sculpted man or a bikini clad woman with a "perfect" figure.

Whom or what do we worship other than God?  Our culture demands that we spend lots of time in front of the mirror; literally and figuratively.   We compare ourselves to others: figures, makeup, clothing, even homes and cars.  Do we measure up? Are we good enough?

Good enough for whom?

We are made in the image and likeness of GOD! What more do we need?

Webster's defines idolatry as the immoderate attachment or devotion to something.  In other words, making something or someone (even ourselves) so much more important than they should be.   God wants our hearts.  He doesn't care about the brand name on our backside, or the year, make and model of our vehicle.  He wants our devotion to go to Him from whom all our blessings flow.

Here's an exercise:  name three things to which you are very attached (spouses and children excluded).  Can you live without one or more of these things for one day? One week? One year?  Are you willing to give it a try to see if it is an "immoderate attachment or devotion"?

The new year is coming fast.  I'm trying to come up with the one thing I will give up for the next year.  This year  (well most of it anyway), I decided not to buy any new or used books.  Trust me the desire to buy a book hits more than once a week so this was not an easy task-nor should it be.

In the past,  I've given up chocolate, which to be perfectly honest, I eat (or drink) EVERY day, peanut butter (almost every day) and some other things from which I needed detachment.

I have a few things I could give up this coming year:  Candy Crush, bread, negative thoughts, "spare" time that could be used for prayers.

I challenge you to pick one thing to give up. Pray about it. Trust me, God will show you what it should be!  If you don't think you can make it a whole year, start small; and a day is not too small for all big things start from small things.  This is not a New Year's resolution.  This is a gift to God and to yourself.

If you want to leave a note, I will add you to my prayers;  for courage to stick with your decision and for the growth that always comes with new ways of doing things.  Check back in a few weeks.  I'll leave a note about what God asked me to put aside for a year and then you can pray for me.

Peace.

Ok. Here goes: For 2014 I will be giving up Candy Crush (it was first on my list above for a reason!) This will give me more free time for reading my Bible which I will be reading every day!



www.thatslife12.blogspot.com

2 comments:

  1. Has it been difficult, Mary? It can be an addicting game. I play Candy Crush most often at night when I have trouble falling asleep. I think caffeine would be on the top of my list. I drink tea every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rhonda, It was difficult at first but if I just ignore that people are sending me requests and such it's not too bad. I also gave up sweets for January. That has been far more difficult!!

    ReplyDelete