Thursday, November 7, 2013

Meek of Heart and Humble

After reading and reposting the blog  Marriage Isn't For You  sethadamsmith.com, where the writer makes the distinction between being selfish and selfless for love of your spouse,  I recalled that I had this prayer in my "pile".

I found it in the Meditation of the Day section in one of my summer Magnificats.  It was written by Blosius the Venerable who was the abbot of the Benedictine Abby of Liessies in France.

Every time I read it I realize how far I am from the goal. But, on the up side, I can feel God working on me so I keep trying.

Here is the prayer:

Denying Self and Following

Oh,when shall I perfectly die to myself an be free from all creatures?  Oh, would that I were truly meek of heart and humble; truly poor and naked in spirit.  Grant, O Lord, that by perfect self-denial, perfect mortification of my vices, I may arrive at perfect love of you.  You have commanded that I should love you: give what you command and command what you please.  Grant that I may love you with my whole heart, my whole mind, with all my powers, with my whole soul.  Deign to heal and reform the powers of my soul, broken and corrupted by sin by the powers of your most holy soul.  Free my soul from all distracting cares; strip from it the images and forms of perishable things. Grant me to dwell with you in the sanctuary of my soul; grant that by steadfast thought, clear knowledge, and fervent love, I may always be able to flow into you. Amen.


Have a Sonfilled day! 



No comments:

Post a Comment