Thursday, August 1, 2013

Take Time to Listen

Sometimes it is hard to listen to the Holy Spirit (or your guardian angel-I have an impossible time telling the difference) but you'll always be glad that you did, so be open to hearing that voice.

One day, a couple of weeks ago, I was privy to an interaction between a mom and her young son.  The mom was late for work and the son was moving a little too slowly for her liking and so she was yelling at him.  Had this been the first time I had heard this happening I probably would have just let it go.  I was very tempted to do so even though it wasn't the first time.  But, the Holy Spirit kept nudging me, so I walked over to talk to her. Since our conversation was very short and she left for work almost immediately, I have no idea if I helped defuse the situation or not.  But, at least I did what I was told.

Yesterday was no different in that I did listen to what I was told to do, however this time I got to see the whole scene played out and so I benefitted from the obedience.

I was in the dining room trying, for the umpteenth time that day, to get the table cleaned off.  There was a box of spaghetti noodles that I picked up and stuck under my arm to carry down the basement.  Well, the box was open and the open end was pointed down and so all the noodles hit the floor.  Heavy sigh!!!  Which almost turned into a rant, until I heard the word, "laugh" in my head.  So, I laughed.

My tenacious one and her big sister were in the room when it happened and they heard the sigh. They immediately leapt into action to help me clean up, but with looks on their faces like they were ready for me to yell!  When I laughed instead they both smiled and became calm, though still willing to help.

Not five minutes later, my little helper was opening a bag of cheesy rice for supper and she dropped it, spilling half of it on the floor.  Given my reaction to my spill, she just smiled at me (and I at her) and got the broom.  I saved the other half of the rice, which we had for dinner, but my earlier laugh saved the day.

She knew that I would not be upset with her because I had just laughed at myself.

Thank you Holy Spirit, or guardian angel.  I appreciate your ever watchful care over me.

www.thatslife12.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment